U.S. Air Force
by Don Branum
Air Force Academy Public Affairs
More than 50 firefighters with the 10th Civil Engineer Squadron here received Air Force Achievement Medals and Air Force Civilian Achievement Awards in a pair of ceremonies Dec. 19-20 for their efforts in containing the Waldo Canyon Fire, which burned 12 acres on the Air Force Academy in June but did not destroy any structures on base.
The 18,247-acre fire was the most destructive in Colorado history, killing two and destroying nearly 350 homes in the city of Colorado Springs while damaging more than 450 others.
Table of contents for Waldo Canyon Fire
- Colorado wildfires threaten more homes
- Waldo Canyon Fire Burns into Colorado Springs
- Waldo Canyon Fire Information Resources
- Military Aids Waldo Canyon Fire Efforts
- Waldo Canyon Fire Forces Academy Moves
- Firefighters Gain Ground in Colorado Fire
- Colorado Springs Begins Fire Recovery
- Gains Made on Waldo Canyon Fire
- Academy firefighters recognized for Waldo Canyon Fire efforts