I attended a workshop last night sponsored by the Greater Rochester Chapter of the National Association of Business Women. Noted blogger and social media marketer Yvonne DiVita and tech guru / recovering lawyer Tom Collins were the presenters.
There were about 16 attending, all but two women as you might expect from the sponsoring group. The presentation went over the two hours because there was so much information to be gleaned. The purpose of the workshop was to explore the basics of blogging for business. DiVita and Collins were especially gracious in answering questions.
Here’s what I found most important to me:
Reasons to Blog
- To build brand awareness
- To build traffic
- To become a thought leader / authority in your field
- To build community
- To build word of mouth
3 Questions to Ask Before Blogging
- What do you want to accomplish?
- Who will I connect to?
- How will I manage interactions, i.e. comments?
How to Run a Blog Effectively
- Strive for every post to contain three links out and an image.
- Spend time commenting on other blogs and on non-blogs.
- Manage time by establishing an editorial calendar.
3 Mistakes Bloggers Make
- They fail up update at least weekly.
- They fail to understand their niche.
- They fail to understand that blogging is a conversation, not a newsletter.
I highly recommend you consider Yvonne DiVita if you have an interest in learning how to blog for your business or if you want to learn how to market to women online. Her website is Lip-Sticking. Her twitter id is @y2vonne .