New York Swine Flu or Novel H1N1 Update June 10 2009
Here is the New York State swine flu / novel H1N1 case update as of June 10, 2009, in the late afternoon.
The media spent a lot of wordage yesterday on mis-characterizing a report issued by the New York City Health Department. Sample headline:
NY Times: 12 Flu Victims Have Died, and Ill May Total 550,000
Here is the link to the report itself. In a telephone poll, enough participants reported influenza like illness (ILI) to suggest that 6.9% of New York City residents may have experienced an ILI. It was a self reported survey and no medical confirmations were done. An ILI is not novel H1N1 or swine flu. In fact, as NYS testing suggested in mid May, up to 88% of the people with an ILI did not have any variant of the influenza virus.
The NY Times has an incorrect headline.
Here is the latest map of NYS counties with H1N1 outbreaks. Upstate, Erie County and Buffalo are running a very close second to Onondaga County and Syracuse. Monroe County and Rochester are running a very distant third.
New York State has 1,241 cases of novel H1N1 or swine flu. New York City, just the 5 boroughs, has 820 cases. The city and its surrounding counties, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester, have a total case count of 1,009 cases.
Table of contents for Swine Flu 2009 New York Cases
- Probable Swine Flu in New York City
- More Swine Flu Cases in New York City
- Upstate New York and Swine Flu
- Swine Flu in Upstate New York State
- Swine Flu in New York May 1, 2009
- Swine Flu in New York
- Swine Flu in New York May 4 2009
- New York State Swine Flu – H1N1 Cases May 15 2009
- Swine Flu – H1N1 in New York May 21 2009
- Swine Flu Update for New York May 28 2009
- Swine Flu or H1N1 in New York May 29 2009
- Swine Flu or Novel H1N1 in New York June 1 2009
- Swine Flu – Novel H1N1 Cases in New York State June 8 2009
- New York Swine Flu or Novel H1N1 Update June 10 2009
- Swine Flu Update for New York State June 19 2009
- New York State Pandemic Swine Flu – H1N1 Cases for 6-23-2009
- New York State Pandemic Swine Flu – H1N1 Cases for 6-26-2009
- Upstate New York colleges in Swine Flu fight
- Upstate New York flu visits to E/R’s increase 50% in one week
- New York State swine flu report through November 7 2009
the attachments to this post:
This entry was posted on Thursday, June 11th, 2009 at 9:06 am and is filed under Original writing, Analysis, Medicine, Influenza, Medicine, Original writing, Medicine, Pandemic, Original writing, Reporting, Medicine, Swine Flu. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.