Joplin Update – 2 weeks after the tornado
The streets have been cleared. The debris are being cleaned up. The losses have been counted. Two weeks after an EF5 tornado ripped through the heart of their city, the people of Joplin, Missouri look to the future.
141 people are reported to have died as a result of the tornado. 100 remain in the Red Cross shelter at Missouri Southern University. 32 Missouri State Police officers remain in the city assisting the Jasper County Sheriff and the Joplin police.
Missouri Gas Energy reports that it continues to cap natural gas lines in the remain 16 grids of the original 40. Empire Electric reports that every customer who can be restored, has been. They have an additional 7,000 plus outages that cannot be repaired at this time.
Up to date information on the Joplin tornado can be found at:
- City of Joplin Website
- Jasper County Website
- Missouri State Emergency Management Agency situation reports
- Federal Emergency Management Agency situation reports
- State of Missouri response website
Table of contents for Joplin Tornado 2011
- Joplin Missouri Struck By Tornado
- Sunrise in a Shattered Joplin Missouri
- Joplin Reels From Yesterday’s Tornado
- Joplin Continues to Dig Out After Record Tornado
- Joplin, Missouri – From Rescue to Recovery
- Marine protects family from Joplin tornado
- Joplin Update – 2 weeks after the tornado
- Corps of Engineers helps Joplin recover
- New Beginning for Joplin After the Tornado
the attachments to this post:
This entry was posted on Sunday, June 5th, 2011 at 9:54 pm and is filed under Disasters. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.