Iraqi Army seizes caches in mosque, hospital
This is the Iraqi Army movement into Sadr City.
Three weapons caches were found in a mosque and a hospital during Operation Peace in Baghdad, May 23.
The two caches contained more than 360 AK-47 assault rifles, approximately 12 Dragonov sniper rifles, anti-tank mines, flak vests, more than 100 rocket-propelled grenade rounds, and multiple RPG launchers. The bodies of one woman and two men were also found at the site of one of the caches.
Iraqi Army Soldiers of the 22nd Brigade, 6th Iraqi Army Division, discovered the first cache inside a mosque in the Shuala neighborhood during a clearing operation.
Inside the mosque, Iraqi Soldiers discovered more than 260 AK-47 rifles, approximately 10 RPGs, and approximately 10 Dragonov sniper rifles, as well as mortars and mortar tube.
The Soldiers discovered a second cache just outside the mosque, containing more than 100 AK-47s, anti-tank mines, flak vests, TNT, rocket launchers and the remains of the three people.
Iraqi Army Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade, 49th Iraqi Army Division, discovered the third weapons cache in a local hospital in Sadr City.
This cache contained more than 100 RPG rounds, rocket sleds, more than 60 home-made grenades, more than 50 fuses, TNT with cortex, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and several mortar tubes corresponding to multiple mortar sizes.
To date, Operation Peace in Sadr City has seized 38 caches.
Table of contents for Sadr Revolt 2008
- Moqtada al-Sadr Starts to Fight
- Sadr Revolt 3-26-2008 am
- Sadr’s Revolt 3-27-2008
- 67 Terrorists Killed
- Iran Backing Sadr Revolt in Iraq
- Sadr Revolt 3-28-2008 early am
- Sadr Revolt 3-28-2008 pm
- Media Mavens Mistake Military Moves
- Sadr Revolt 3-30-2008 am
- Sadr Orders Halt to Revolt
- Iraqi Special Operations Forces kill 14 criminals in Basra
- Kadhamiyah Cleans Up After Sadr Fight
- Brits in Basra – Crack Shots
- Iraqi Army seizes caches in mosque, hospital
- MND-SE holds memorial for fallen Marine
- Iraqis Continue Basra Cleanup
- Iraqis Continue Sadr City Cleanup
- Basra Update June 7 2008
- Chief Warrant Officer Ronald C. Ivy
This entry was posted on Saturday, May 24th, 2008 at 11:31 pm and is filed under War on Terror, Iraq, War on Terror. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.