Story by Staff Sgt. Osvaldo Equite
For more than a century, the present-day Southwest corner of New York City’s borough of Brooklyn was used to protect the entrance of New York’s harbor from intruders during the American Revolution and as a fort during the American Civil War.
Its construction, which began in 1825 on the Eastern side of the narrows, was completed after six years. Today, the 120-acre installation stands besides the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, the longest suspension bridge in the U.S.